Comic Relief and the Community Foundation in Wales are working together to distribute a £80,000 Comic Relief Community Cash fund to Wales.
We believe that local people know what is needed in their community and are best placed to make any changes. Having lots of activities happening in an area brings vibrancy to a local community which can make it a better place to live. We are also aware that many people are undertaking great work in their area but often struggle to get the support they need. We therefore want to support community groups rooted in their local communities undertaking work that helps people of all ages feel more included in their community, builds their skills and increases their sense of achievement.
WHO CAN APPLY?
We are particularly keen to ensure we reach groups of people who often miss out. As such we accept applications from the voluntary and community sector including:
- constituted voluntary and community groups
- social enterprises
- community interest companies
Groups which have been established for less than 12 months, are eligible to apply.
- Grants of between £500 and £1,000 are available for projects of 1 year’s duration.
Grants will be used to support work where there is clear evidence of a beneficial impact on people’s lives who are excluded or disadvantaged through low income, rural or social isolation, age, disabilities, race, sexuality or gender.
We are looking for a wide range of projects that are able to deliver social outcomes.
TO BE CONSIDERED FOR FUNDING YOU WILL NEED TO:
- Be working in a disadvantaged or deprived area
- Be a small local group with an income of less than £100,000 run by local people
- Have limited access to other sources of income
- Clearly define the need you are addressing
- Clearly demonstrate the benefit of your activities to disadvantaged people
- Illustrate how you aim to deliver social outcomes
- Provide clear evidence that the services provided are inclusive to all
- Provide clear evidence that the activities provided will target people who would ordinarily struggle to access those opportunities
EXAMPLES OF THE TYPE OF ACTIVITIES WE WILL FUND
- Counselling and advice services
- Disability sports clubs/activities
- Training, skill building and volunteering projects
- Community groups and set up costs for new groups
- Support groups
Priority will be given to small, locally based groups or organisations in areas of disadvantage that have a clear understanding of the needs of their community and are undertaking actions as a means of addressing these needs. Depending on the quality and volume of applications received priority will be given to:
- Those that are new to Comic Relief and/or Community Foundation funding
- Those in areas of high deprivation
- Those in geographically underfunded areas
- Those with lived experience, where people directly affected by the issues are involved in all levels of the organisation
- Those with innovative approaches, to respond to clearly defined need
- Those demonstrating effective practice, with evidence that the methodology being used will be successful
WHO CANNOT APPLY
- Organisations who are in receipt of a grant directly from Comic Relief (excluding the Community Cash programme)
- Statutory organisations, including schools
- National organisations, unless the application is submitted by a local office with a separate management committee, bank account and governing documents
The criteria do not include the award of the Grant:
- to fund trips abroad;
- to fund buses, mini buses or other community transport schemes (not including transport costs forming part of a project);
- to fund building costs, including access adaptations to buildings.
This fund is now CLOSED to applications.